During the Polish Long Weekend (actually very long), I had some speare time. I had great time with family, so after my little devils felt asleep. I though: “Let me see what I have in my draft post list” (which it is huge btw). One of interesting entry from January is “Hardening Wrodpress”.
The story went like that: I opened my blog at pietrowski.info, but instead of my blog I had got this (see screenshots).
What’s the hell! I check different web browsers and I had the same judgment.
Fortunately I’m Google Webmaster Tools user, and I remembered that there is diagnostic page, I ran it for pietrowski.info (click link to see actual report). Original result (4.january.2013 below).
With my colleague (js-expert), we did backward engineering of the script. Nothing interesting, I can put gists in comments (have to grep gTalk history :)) if you are interested in, anyway the security issue was in one of the plugin, so I made quick decision – remove it (I have no code highlighter right now ;/).
What is extremely important here is that, instead reading yet another tabloid (put your favorite name here), read security information of your platform, and perform updates if needed.
Of course I had lamer (mean standard) configuration of WordPress.
So I went through those documents:
and you should at least consider this ideas:
- Authentication Unique Keys and Salts
- WordPress Database Table prefix
- Protect wp-config.php
- Relocate Your wp-content Folder
Last but most important step was to beg google ;). You can do it through Google Webmaster Toolkit (ask for review Health->Malware). It may take up to few days to review your site (in my case 3 days). I’ve updated plugins and WordPress engine:
And this it is.